Surely the Yanks couldn't drop their eighth straight to the Sox with CC on the hill against Brad Friggin' Penny, right? I mean, this madness has to end at some point, doesn't it? Well, it didn't happen tonight. This one hurt more than the first seven combined.
It's late and the bile is rising in my throat, so we're going to go with a few bullets to sum this one up:
Player of The Game:
- Nick Swisher needs to be benched for a couple of games. I can live with poor defense, I can live with the guy striking out looking at an alarming rate, I absolutely cannot live with stupid baseball. In the past two games, Swisher has been doubled off twice on asinine baserunning plays. There has to be accountability. Put Gardner out there for a couple games, send a message to Swisher that it's more important to be a smart baseball player than a clubhouse joker.
- The Yanks basically got screwed in the first inning when Brad Penny beaned A-Rod on purpose and the umps immediately issued a warning. That took the matter out of the players hands, took the inside part of the plate away from CC and it will boil up to the surface the next time these teams meet. Never warn on the first bean ball.
- Is Ortiz going to give a curtain call for all 8 of his bombs this season? Give me a break.
- Damon did his best Swisher impersonation on a routine fly ball, luckily, CC was cruising at that point.
- 1-0 game in the bottom of the 6th, good time for the Fenway douches to do the wave. I guess I should be happy that Yankee Stadium isn't the only place that's been taken over by non-fans and wanabees.
- Great call by Girardi on the Cervelli hit and run, and Frankie did something very smart as well. It was a situation in which Girardi usually bunts, on the first pitch of the at bat, Delcarmen threw over to first and Cervelli slid his hand up the bat like he was going to bunt. It drew Lowell in a little bit more at third, just enough for Cervelli's liner to get into the corner and tie the game up.
- I can't say enough about A-Rod's at bat later that inning. He's hitting like crap right now, but his pitch recognition is great, which is rather odd. He hung in there through a tough at bat and lined a shot off the wall in left-center. That should've iced the game.
- The Pedroia at bat did CC in. The missed call did Aceves in. Gardner's throw was pitiful. Coke did an awesome job getting out of the jam. Papelbon is still a sissy.
Cervelli, the first run is always the hardest to score.Team Record:
Vs. the Mess tomorrow night. Joba vs. Livan.